A new understanding of the manor's archaeology from David Hall and Bill Franklin.
Today -- because of co-operation on the barrow -- we welcomed two distinguished Cambridge archaeologists here: David Hall and Bill Franklin.
We learned lots!
LIDAR imaging of the landscape and field walking tells us that:
- our woodland is full of medieval features;
- our mound feature was in fact built in the anarchy of King Stephen/Empress Matilda 1135-54;
- the gardens here were once much bigger and ran for many meters to the south and east of the hall, traces can still be seen from the air;
- that the hall has most likely always been on the present site;
- Soulton Road seems to have moved significantly.
We will share the LIDAR images and more details when we can!
UPDATE: LIDAR images and some further detail are available here.
Below is a picture of one of the more significant earthworks, with the hall beyond: