At a glance
The cottages are well equipped with all towels, linen, tea towels etc provided for you.
- sleeps 5 (1 single and two double rooms);
- own garden
- open fire
- pets welcome
- ample parking
Ploughman’s Cottage was built at the end of the Victorian era to provide accommodation for staff working on Soulton Farm. It is a semi-detached house, next to Herdsman's Cottage . The house is built of brick, and has an original sty at the bottom of the garden, with a small yard in front – now a sheltered area for a BBQ. The cottage inventory is available here. This is the sister cottage to Herdsman's Cottage.
Ploughman’s Cottage has an open country location, a ¼ of a mile from Soulton Hall. Its location was chosen to ensure that the farm staff could keep an eye on the land and animals.
The farm immediately next door is experimenting in the mixing of fruit and nut trees with pastureland.
Details about the intriguing and beautiful county of Shropshire can be found here.
Ploughman’s Cottage is on the edge of Soulton's farm and woodland, which you are encouraged to explore.
Pets are welcome at Ploughaman’s Cottage. However, please avoid taking them upstairs or leaving then unattended in the cottage
Whilst staying in the holiday cottages, guests are welcome to explore the woodland and farm near Ploughman’s Cottage. The cottage itself can be used as a retreat for couples, but is also a convenient base for family holidays in the North Shropshire countryside. If you are attending an event in the area and need a pied-a-terre, a weekend in a cottage may be a good alternative to serviced accommodation,
Situated on the ground floor you will find:
- Kitchen/diner: A fitted kitchen, where you will find extensive cooking utensils, crockery etc. Appliances include: electric oven, microwave, washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher - important, as you are on holiday. Heating is by a night storage system.
- A cosy large sitting room with a three seat sofa, and a couple of arm chairs. There is also an open fire.
- Bathroom, with shower over bath.
- Airing cupboard, which can be useful after country walks.
- 1st double bedroom;
- 2nd double bedroom;
- A single bedroom
- There are generous chests of drawers and some hanging space. However, owing to the bedrooms having original gently sloping ceilings and dorma windows within the roof hanging space is a little limited.
Outside, the old sty can provide unsecured storage (e.g. for bikes). There is ample parking for at least three cars.
This house was re-roofed in 2012, and has the best quality roof insulation we could manage. Additionally, almost all the windows are double glazed UPVC. The EPC for the house is displayed in the information pack in the house.
Unfortuately we do not have mains gas, so while the house is cosy, we use electricity to make this happen. You can view the cottage's EPC via this page.